SRA Annual Report 2018-19: Soil visits (W2)
Investigating and encouraging better soil husbandry to reduce the run-off of surface water can sometimes lead on to the development of bigger natural flood management projects.
For example, a visit to the Exmoor village of Winsford in late 2018 prompted the development of plans for works in summer 2019, including brash dams and woody dams in Winn Brook, watercourse fencing, gateway works and a soakaway ditch. Keeping soil in good health also brings obvious benefits to farmers.
Note: to avoid double-counting, the list below does not include visits already covered in the sections about Successful auction bids and Highways referrals.
- Nunney (Sharpshaw Farm)
- Fiddington (Peadon Farm)
- Fordgate (Fordgate Farm)
- North Newton (Newcotts Farm)
- Otterhampton (Manor Farm)
- Spaxton (Gothelney Farm)
- Thurloxton (Keirles Farm)
- West Newton (West Newton Farm)
- Ashill (Southtown Farm)
- Curry Mallet (Stud Farm)
- South Petherton (Frogmary Green Farm)
- Bishops Lydeard (Portman Farm)
- Pinksmoor (Pinksmoor Farm)
- Wellington (Miscanthus Nurseries) – Subsoiling miscanthus trial, just north of A38 Wellington bypass
- Brompton Regis (Lyncombe Farm)
- Winsford (Little Ash Farm)
- Wootton Courtenay (Brockwell Farm)